The 17th Congress of the World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) will take place in Istanbul, Turkey.
One week before the WFD congress there will be the 6th Summer Youth Camp (WFDYS) for deaf young people aged between 18 and 30 years old. This will be a great opportunity for deaf young people to get together and meet new friends.
The 6th WFDYS Youth Camp aims to:
- Train deaf youth in organisation and leadership activities
- Encourage networking between deaf youths from different countries
- Promote cultural exchanges between different nationalities
The Youth Camp is held every year and every year there is a different theme. The theme this year is “Youth Beyond Diversity”.
There are many benefits for a deaf young person attending the WFDYS Youth Camp.
- Confidence building
- The opportunity to meet like-minded young people from all over the world.
- The opportunity to learn about different countries’ history, politics, culture, sign languages and human rights.
- See, meet and make friends with good deaf role models
- Developing a positive deaf identity
- Having fun!
Going to the youth camp can be a life changing experience for deaf young people. For more information and to check the dates next year’s youth camp, see the WFD Youth website here http://www.wfdys.org/